McGrath, Donald candidates to replace Lillee
Chennai: Fast bowling greats Glenn McGrath, Allan Donald and Craig McDermott, among others, have been shortlisted as possible candidates to succeed Dennis Lillee as coaching director at the MRF Pace Foundation.
"The management has not decided as of yet. They have shortlisted about four or five people like Glenn McGrath, Allan Donald, Craig Mcdermott, Troy Cooley and one other," Lille said.
Lillee is bidding adieu after heading the pace foundation since its inception in 1987.
"We have to pick the best, a person who come with hundred per cent dedication, commitment and a very good image. I have to be careful with the process and check everything out because not all great bowlers could make good coaches. The difficult thing is not getting people but selecting the best."
Talking about his 25-year-old association with the foundation, Lillee said it was a challenge to take up the job at a time when there was a dearth of genuine fast bowlers in India, save Kapil Dev.
"When I actually came here I noticed that there was no fast bowler but they were all medium pace. I am not saying it in a detrimental way but there was no fast and great swing bowler in India like Kapil Dev," the 62-year-old told reporters.
Lille said that it was hard work for him initially. "I had to work harder on the technical side of fast bowling and insisted them on bowing on one line. But they get back to their native and their own coaches changed their actions and I had a pretty hard work to do."
"I saw three things in them that they never did any running or weights and they had known nothing about technique.
Mental toughness was also lacking in them.
"I had to change the whole belief in whole system. What we did was we changed the system and introduced physical work in the morning and nets in the afternoon. In between, the boys rest and come fresh in the afternoon for the nets."
Asked about his biggest success during his stint here, Lille said, "My biggest triumph is to have succeeded in starting from the scratch and built it from nothing to what it is today and success would not have come but for the support I received from MRF Management. They allowed me to do it my way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh