McGrath not interested in becoming fast-bowling coach
Melbourne: Australian legend Glenn McGrath is not interested in replacing outgoing Troy Cooley as national team`s full-time fast bowling coach as he is busy with his charity foundation but ready to offer advice to the players.
McGrath, who took 563 wickets in his 124-Test career for Australia, says he has got enough on his plate running the McGrath Foundation charity, being a dad to his two children and wife to new bride Sara Leonardi.
Cooley has accepted the position as head coach of the Centre of Excellence in Brisbane and will step down at the end of the current Ashes series.
"I`m always happy to give advice where I can. There`s been a lot happening in my life in the last 12 months especially and there`s plenty to keep me busy," McGrath said.
"I guess I`ll chat to the boys a fair bit after this Test match and see what I can do but as for an official role, we`ll see what the future holds. There’s plenty to keep me busy," he was quoted as saying by Australian Associated Press.
For the third summer in a row, the SCG Test starting on Monday between Australia and England will be turning pink to help raise funds and awareness for the McGrath Foundation.
The foundation was set up by the former Test quick and his first wife Jane in 2002 to raise money to place breast care nurses in communities right across Australia.
McGrath tipped Australia to bounce back and level the series at two-all with a win over England at the SCG and he is also backing the country`s cricketers to once again become the best in the world.
"It goes in cycles occasionally ... it was not that long ago where the current Australian team won 13 in a row so I have total faith the boys will bounce back and we’ll get back to the top of the tree," he said.
"I think it`s a great time to be a young fella in Australian cricket. There`s plenty of opportunities. To see Ussie (Usman Khawaja) coming into this Test match, if he can put his hand up and do well he could quite easily cement his spot. I think for any young guys playing at the moment it’s a good opportunity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi