Meeting to discuss prospect of T20 league postponed
Karachi: A two-day meeting called by the Pakistan Cricket Board to study the prospects of starting its own Pakistan Premier T20 league has been postponed due to the absence of the board Chairman.
The meeting scheduled around March 23 and 24th in which two presentations were to be made about the feasibility of launching the PPL, will now be held later on. "The meeting will now be held late this month but it is definitely on as not only will the newly appointed marketing director of the board but a private sports management company is also due to make presentations," one source said.
Pakistan is looking to launch its own PPL on the lines of the Indian Premier League and Bangladesh Premier League with the involvement of franchises and some overseas players this year.
"The idea to start the PPL as soon as possible is also to get some international overseas players involved in playing on Pakistan soil," the source said.
The source said one presentation is to be made by a private sports management company owned by a former high profile banker who is convinced the PPL can be launched with the support of sponsors, broadcasters and corporate sector. But a PCB official when contacted admitted that any company which is given the authority to launch the PPL will have to get some foreign investment or involvement for it to become a reality. "Even the Bangladesh league started because an Indian company has brought broadcasting and others rights for four years for a big amount (USD 42 million)," another source said.
Security situation in Pakistan has kept away foreign cricketers and teams from touring Pakistan completely since 2009 when militants attacked the Sri Lankan team in Lahore. The source said the PCB was keen to began the league even on a smaller scale as its domestic T20 events were hugely popular and always drew in big crowds and sponsors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail