Meiyappan evasive, non-cooperative during interrogation: Police
Mumbai: Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan was grilled by Mumbai Crime Branch for several hours following his arrest on Friday night in IPL betting scandal during which he was "evasive" and "non-cooperative", police said here on Saturday.
Meiyappan, son-in-law of BCCI President N Srinivasan, was taken to Crime Branch headquarters after his arrival from Madurai by a chartered aircraft last evening. His arrest was announced by Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Himanshu Roy at around midnight on Friday night.
Roy initially quizzed Meiyappan for about two-and-a half hours. After his arrest, the 35-year-old was again subjected to questioning for several hours by Crime Branch team, police officials said.
"He was not as cooperative as we expected him to be. He was evasive about several questions," police officials said.
Gurunath, who will be produced before a court here on Saturday, had been summoned by Mumbai Police for questioning after his name cropped up in the betting scandal following arrest of actor Vindoo Dara Singh on May 21.
Vindoo, winner of reality show `Bigg Boss` season 3 and son of late wrestler-actor Dara Singh, was allegedly in "frequent touch" with Gurunath during the IPL matches and claimed to have told Mumbai Crime Branch that the CSK owner had lost Rs 1 crore through betting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!