Mendis and Fernando back in Sri Lanka Test squad
Colombo: Spinner Ajantha Mendis and fast bowler Dilhara Fernando are back in Sri Lanka`s Test squad for the tour of South Africa next month, the selectors announced on Tuesday.
Mendis was left out of the 1-0 series defeat by Pakistan due to a back injury but has been passed fit and will replace Suraj Randiv.
Fernando was also overlooked for the Tests against Pakistan. He is, however, a member of the one-day squad now playing against the same opposition.
"With so many injuries, we had to bring back Dilhara Fernando who is the most experienced of the fast bowlers," said chairman of selectors Duleep Mendis.
The paceman will replace the injured Dammika Prasad in South Africa.
Fast bowlers Nuwan Kulasekara and Shaminda Eranga and wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene were also not considered because of injury.
All-rounder Thisara Perera and uncapped opening batsman Dimuth Karunaratne have been included in the 16-man squad.
Sri Lanka play South Africa in a three-Test series which starts on Dec. 15 in Centurion.
Tillakaratne Dilshan (captain), Angelo Mathews (vice-captain), Tharanga Paranavitana, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Dinesh Chandimal, Kaushal Silva (wicketkeeper), Lahiru Thirimanne, Dimuth Karunaratne, Chanaka Welegedara, Dilhara Fernando, Nuwan Pradeep, Suranga Lakmal, Thisara Perera, Ajantha Mendis, Rangana Herath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in