Michael Clarke: A cricketer and a gentleman
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Sydney: Australian captain Michael Clarke selflessly declared with his innings five runs short of Don Bradman and Mark Taylor`s highest score of 334 and just 51 runs short of opener Matthew Hayden`s Australian record of 380 Test runs.
The Australian captain`s historic 329* is the highest score in an Australia-India Test and the highest at the SCG. Clarke made it all the more special doing it in front of his home crowd, in the 100th Test to be played at SCG.
Clarke however, surpassed Sir Donald Bradman`s record of highest score by an Australian captain. He played 432 deliveries and hit 37 boundaries and a six to achieve this feat. Bradman had scored 270 runs against England in 1937.
He became the 21st cricketer and seventh Australian player to score a triple ton. He received a standing ovation when he eclipsed the 109-year highest score at the SCG, registered by Englishman Reg Foster (287).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok