Michael Clarke denies axing Katich
Melbourne: Australia captain Michael Clarke denied that he had any hand in axing Simon Katich but made it clear that he would not be keen to bring back the former opener after his latest outburst.
Katich accused Clarke of playing a role in removing him from the list of Cricket Australia contracts, and said that he would never be able to wear a baggy green again as long as the team is led by the present skipper.
Rubbishing allegations of playing a role in shutting down Katich`s career, Clarke said, "Look when Simon wasn`t selected I wasn`t a selector at the time.”
"Since becoming a selector I`ve made it clear in plenty of press conferences that I`ve done that the door`s certainly not closed on anyone, but in saying that I don`t think his comments are certainly helping him get back into this team at the moment."
Clarke-led Australia clinched the three-match ODI series against South Africa 2-1 in Durban yesterday and the skipper said Katich`s comments were not good for the team morale.
"The team morale is such an important part of having success and it`s been a great thing for the Australian team in both forms of the game of late. I think the team morale is outstanding and we`re enjoying seeing a bit of success as well," he said.
Clarke, meanwhile, welcomed the appointment of new full-time selector, John Inverarity, and also paid tribute to much-criticised outgoing chief of selection Andrew Hilditch.
"I`m very excited, (Inverarity`s) the ultimate gentlemen, was a fantastic player and is a wonderful guy so I think both Watto (vice-captain Shane Watson) and myself are looking forward to spending a lot of time with him. I think it`s a great decision," said Clarke.
"I want to make a special mention to Andrew Hilditch. I think `digger`s` done a fantastic job and he`s been a selector for a long time and I hope he`s not just remembered for the last 12 months," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’