Michael Clarke says injury-plagued Australia will find way to beat South Africa
Sydney: Australian captain Michael Clarke has insisted that his problem-plagued team would find a way to succeed against the No.1 ranked South African team when the first Test begins at the Gabba on November 9.
After a week when several Australian top-order batsmen failed to fire in the first class matches across the country, Clarke goes into the first Test with the added worry of two remarkable players, veteran Ricky Ponting facing an injury cloud, and all-rounder Shane Watson being ruled out of the Test.
“We`ll find a way. We did last summer and if Watto`s not available somebody will come in and grab that opportunity,” a leading Australian daily quoted Clarke, as saying.
“You look at our performance last summer, he (Watson) didn`t play one Test match and we beat India 4-0. I`d love him to be fit but if he`s not we`ll find a way,” he added.
According to the paper, Victoria`s left-handed opener Rob Quiney, who made scores of 85 and 11 not out for Australia A in the tour match against South Africa that finished in a draw, has now been called up as cover for Watson.
Although Clarke did meet with the rest of the Australian selectors to originally choose two players to put on standby in case Ponting does not make it onto the field on Friday, it was decided to just add Quiney to the Australian Test squad, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video