Michael Vaughan calls for more drug tests
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Sheffield: In the wake of Surrey batsman Tom Maynard’s death at the rail-tracks when it was revealed he had been using cocaine and ecstasy regularly in the three months leading up to the tragic accident, former England captain Michael Vaughan has called for more off-season drug tests.
Speaking to a leading British news channel, Vaughan said:
“If you had [drug testing] on a regular basis, there would be a starting point of potentially wiping it out completely.
“Where cricket has to be a little bit wary is if you`re just a county player, the season finishes in September and then you`re not playing a competitive game until April.
"We have to be wary that long periods of non-competitive action can lead to boredom. It`s a long time not to be competing and it`s a long time not to be tested. I do think out-of-season and out-of-competition drug testing would be a step forward."
He added that he didn’t believe the problem was rife in the sport, saying that out of 400 people, about 3-4 would be on the “wrong side of the game”. He also felt that the party-culture in certain parts of the country attributed to increased numbers of violators in clubs or counties of that region.
Surrey batsman Tom Maynard was only 23 when he died last June. An inquest on Tuesday heard that he was high on cocaine and ecstasy when he died and the jury ruled that his death was accidental after he was electrocuted on a live railway track before being hit by a train.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources