Mike Denness: The man who accused Tendulkar of ball tampering no more
London: Former England captain Mike Denness died aged 72 on Friday after a long battle with cancer.
Denness was the only Scotsman ever to captain England, leading the team in 19 of his 28 Tests between 1969 and 1975.
He also played 12 one-day internationals and went onto become an ICC match referee.
Denness was awarded an OBE in this year`s New Years Honours for services to sport.
His reign has England captain was marred by a strained relationship with Geoff Boycott, then one of the team`s star performers.
During the 1974-75 tour of Australia, Denness dropped himself for the fourth Test after making just 65 runs in his first six innings
But he returned to hit 188 in the Melbourne Test which, at the time, was the highest score by an England captain in Australia.
Denness played county cricket for Kent and Essex, scoring more than 25,000 runs in his first-class career and captaining Kent to six domestic trophies between 1972 and 1976.
During his time as an ICC match referee his controversial decision to sanction six Indian players in Port Elizabeth during the 2001/2002 tour prompted the Indian and South African boards to ban Denness from officiating in the next match.
The ICC responded by withdrawing Test status from the game.
Kent chairman George Kennedy said: "This is an extremely sad day for the club. We have lost one of our great players, a very successful captain and a good friend.
"It is particularly sad that this has happened during his year as president. Our thoughts are with Mike`s family and friends at this time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail