Mike Hussey calls Watson `prime candidate` to replace Clarke as Oz captain
Sydney: Former Australian Test captain Mike Hussey has said that the answer to the national cricket team`s leadership issues is Shane Watson taking over the captaincy from Michael Clarke.
According to News.com.au, Hussey also rates George Bailey the logical choice to fill the vacant No.6 Test slot against England this summer and second in line to succeed Clarke when required.
Clarke is battling to be fit for the Ashes opener against England in Brisbane from November 21 due to a chronic back condition, the report said.
Hussey rates Watson a superb leader of men and noted his success steering Australia to a tri-series finals triumph against Sri Lanka in March last year when Clarke was sidelined with a hamstring strain, the report added.
He said that he had played under Watson when Clarke was injured and he led brilliantly, adding that he was an inspiring captain, and the things he spoke about in the dressing room were brilliant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend