Mike Hussey calls Watson `prime candidate` to replace Clarke as Oz captain
Sydney: Former Australian Test captain Mike Hussey has said that the answer to the national cricket team`s leadership issues is Shane Watson taking over the captaincy from Michael Clarke.
According to News.com.au, Hussey also rates George Bailey the logical choice to fill the vacant No.6 Test slot against England this summer and second in line to succeed Clarke when required.
Clarke is battling to be fit for the Ashes opener against England in Brisbane from November 21 due to a chronic back condition, the report said.
Hussey rates Watson a superb leader of men and noted his success steering Australia to a tri-series finals triumph against Sri Lanka in March last year when Clarke was sidelined with a hamstring strain, the report added.
He said that he had played under Watson when Clarke was injured and he led brilliantly, adding that he was an inspiring captain, and the things he spoke about in the dressing room were brilliant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah