Mike Hussey calls Watson `prime candidate` to replace Clarke as Oz captain
Sydney: Former Australian Test captain Mike Hussey has said that the answer to the national cricket team`s leadership issues is Shane Watson taking over the captaincy from Michael Clarke.
According to News.com.au, Hussey also rates George Bailey the logical choice to fill the vacant No.6 Test slot against England this summer and second in line to succeed Clarke when required.
Clarke is battling to be fit for the Ashes opener against England in Brisbane from November 21 due to a chronic back condition, the report said.
Hussey rates Watson a superb leader of men and noted his success steering Australia to a tri-series finals triumph against Sri Lanka in March last year when Clarke was sidelined with a hamstring strain, the report added.
He said that he had played under Watson when Clarke was injured and he led brilliantly, adding that he was an inspiring captain, and the things he spoke about in the dressing room were brilliant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list