Mike Hussey returns as replacement for Aussies
Mumbai: Australian batsman Mike Hussey received a World Cup reprieve on Sunday when he was named as a replacement for injured fast bowler Doug Bollinger.
Hussey had been named in the original 15-man squad for the Feb. 19 - April 2 tournament before being controversially removed as selectors feared he would not recover in time from a hamstring injury.
The 35-year-old`s omission not only angered the batsman but also caused a furore in Australia.
Hussey had always believed he would be fit to play most of the event despite rupturing a hamstring during the ODI series against England in January.
"Michael has successfully recovered from major hamstring surgery and is seen as someone who is capable of assisting Australia as we strive to win this tournament," Cricket Australia said in a statement.
"His skill, experience, ability against spin and the fact that he provides a left-hand option in the middle order is seen as critical in our World Cup defence now that he has successfully recovered from injury."
Bollinger was ruled out of the World Cup with a left ankle injury and subsequently returned home.
Fast bowler Dirk Nannes will also travel to India as a standby player to train with the Australian squad and be available in case another fast bowler gets injured, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand