Miller turns on Pietersen after Twitter tirade
Taunton: England national selector Geoff Miller was decidedly unimpressed by Kevin Pietersen`s foul-mouthed Twitter rant following his omission from the limited overs squads to play Pakistan.
Pietersen pre-empted Tuesday`s official announcement by the England and Wales Cricket (ECB) that he`d been left out of the squads for the upcoming limited overs matches against Pakistan by several hours, with a post on social networking site Twitter.
That would not have endeared the South Africa born batsman to the England management in any event.
But the 30-year-old Pietersen, man of the tournament during England`s victorious World Twenty20 campaign in the Caribbean earlier this year, told his followers: "Done for rest of summer!! Man of the World Cup T20 and dropped from the T20 side too.
"It`s a fxxx up."
Miller, speaking after Tuesday`s squad announcement, said: "I don`t like that kind of language and I don`t use that language at all.
"I don`t think it is necessary," the former England off-spinner added.
"I`m still the national selector and what I do is select sides with my co-selectors that we think is right for England. My priority is the England side and it is not about individuals."
Pietersen, who has gone 26 Test innings without a hundred, could now face disciplinary action with an ECB spokesman telling AFP: "We are considering the circumstances surrounding it (the Twitter post)."
Meanwhile Miller added: "I`ll talk to KP. Whether there is an apology or not I`m sure Andy Flower (the England coach) will have a word with him."
Pietersen, never before dropped by England when fit, is now set to spend the rest of the season on-loan at Surrey from Hampshire in a bid to get some morale-boosting match practice.
Hampshire made it clear they would not select Pietersen this season after he announced he`d be leaving at the end of the current campaign.
"I`ll be watching games that he is participating in before the end of the season," Miller said.
"This won`t stop me talking to Kevin Pietersen and if he wants to apologise or thinks there is a need to apologise then so be it, I will certainly explain to him what my feelings are.
"It is something I could do without."
Pietersen was in more restrained mood when quoted in an ECB statement announcing the one-day parties, saying: "I have no issue with the selectors omitting me from the limited overs squads."
England`s limited overs matches against Pakistan will take place under the cloud of `the spot-fixing` row engulfing the tourists.
Britain`s News of the World has alleged a middleman took 150,000 pounds (185,000 euros, 230,000 dollars) to arrange for Pakistan`s Mohammad Aamer and Mohammad Asif to deliberately bowl no-balls in the final Test against England at Lord`s last week.
The revelations led to calls for England`s two Twenty20 matches against Pakistan, in Cardiff, on Sunday and Tuesday, and a subsequent five-match one-day series between the countries to be scrapped.
But with the games set to go ahead as scheduled, Miller said: "We`ll just have to see how the atmosphere is, we can`t do anything else.
"It is a difficult time but we have to accept that these games are going to be played and these are the best players to face it."
He added: "We will go out there and put a show on for the spectators. We hope there is a full crowd because we want to go out there as a national side and make them feel proud of us and proud to be English."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’