Ministry asks PCB for details of irregularities
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has been asked by the ministry of inter provincial coordination to provide them with details of alleged irregularities committed during Zaka Ashraf`s tenure as cricket chief from 2011 to 2013.
According to sources, the ministry has acted since the ruling government is keen on holding an investigation into the working of Ashraf during the time he headed the Zarai Taraqyati Bank Limited and PCB.
Ashraf was handpicked for both influential positions by former President Asif Zardari.
"From what we know even the prime minister`s office has asked for details from the board," one source said.
It was during Ashraf`s tenure as board chairman that the PCB constitution was amended as per the requirements of the ICC to make it more democratic.
Under the new constitution, elections were held hurriedly in a day`s time in Islamabad in May
when Ashraf got elected as board chairman for four years.
Ashraf was dismissed as chairman of the board by the Islamabad High Court (IHC) in June in the light of a petition filed by retired Major Ahmed Nadeem Sadal, an ex-Army cricket team coach, who said the board of governors that elected Zaka was illegal since it had no representation from Punjab.
The court declared his election as null and void and described the election process as polluted.
Ashraf has filed an appeal against his dismissal before a divisional bench of the IHC which, at its hearing yesterday, adjourned the next hearing for December and allowed present chairman, Najam Sethi and the interim management committee to continue working until then.
Ashraf`s lawyer has called for restoration of Ashraf as chairman.
The media has highlighted that Ashraf wasted a lot of the board`s money on hiring people on political basis on lucrative packages and on non productive projects.
Ashraf is said to have hired around 68 employees in his tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media