Ministry extends Arjuna nomination date for BCCI till July 20
New Delhi: In a reconciliatory gesture, the Sports ministry on Thursday made an exception for BCCI by extending the last date for filing nominations for Arjuna awards to July 20.
The Sports Ministry`s extension of the deadline will thus allow the BCCI to nominate its cricketers for the prestigious government award.
"The joint secretary of ministry of sports Mukul Chatterjee personally called up to inform that the last date for filing the Arjuna award nomination has been extended till July 20. After the telephonic conversation, the BCCI has also received a fax stating the same from the ministry," a senior BCCI official said on Thursday.
"Whatever miscommunication existed is a thing of past now. Obviously, we will be filing nominations. The BCCI president, secretary and the national selectors will assess as to who is the most eligible candidate for the award," the official added.
As of now, Team India vice-captain Virat Kohli is the front-runner for his prolific performance in the ODIs throughout the last season. The other name that can come up for dicussion is that of Ravichandran Ashwin.
It must be recalled that BCCI and ministry officials were engaged in a war of words and denials after the cricket board claimed that they weren`t send the nomination forms.
The ministry on their part stated that it was available on the internet and later released a list of associations that were send the nomination forms. However that list didn`t include BCCI as they don`t come under the aegis of National Sports Federation (NSFs).
However with ministry now extending the date, the misunderstanding is expected to end for the time being.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire