Misbah-ul-Haq among Pak players facing tax investigation
Lahore: Pakistan`s Test and one-day captain Misbah-ul-Haq, along with some other leading players, will be investigated by the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) for filing incomplete tax returns.
A spokesman of the FBR today said there were complaints of non-payment of full taxes on total income earned by the players.
"The investigations will be carried out to confirm whether the complaints of non payment of taxes is correct," he said.
Pakistani Test players Umar Akmal, Azhar Ali and Taufeeq Umar and national Twenty20 captain Mohammed Hafeez will be investigated. The FBR had earlier invited these cricketers to lodge their tax returns.
Complying with the FBR directives, the six players lodged their returns after obtaining their group income certificates from the Pakistan Cricket Board.
However the FBR has ascertained that the incomes and expenses were more than what was mentioned in the received financial documents.
According to details in the financial years 2009-2010 and 2010-2011, Misbah had to pay a total tax of Rs 4.9 million, based on his declared income, however his total tax payment for the two years stood at Rs 2.96 million.
A source in the board said the Federal Department of Income Tax had also talked about having tribunal hearings on the issue of non-payments of taxes by Misbah and other players.
The source also said that Umar Akmal`s bank account had been frozen by the FBR citing non-payments of taxes worth Rs 7.8 million.
During the same financial years, opening batsman Imran Farhat paid a total tax worth Rs 1.03 million, Hafeez paid Rs 2.7 million, Azhar Ali Rs 0.62 million and Umar paid Rs 1.195 million.
The PCB has also been at loggerheads with the FBR over tax payment and exemption issues and the FBR lodged a case against them in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH