Misbah-ul-Haq to remain Pakistan`s ODI captain till 2015 World Cup
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) decided to retain Misbah-ul-Haq as Test and ODI captain until the next World Cup in 2015 in order to crush apparent unrest in the national team over the captaincy issue.
Outgoing Chairman of the board, Najam Sethi said on Geo TV that there was some intrigue and politics going on in the team over the captaincy issue.
"Even the media was promoting their favorites for the captaincy and there was something going on in the team," Sethi admitted.
"That is why I decided the best solution is to announce Misbah as captain until the World Cup to end any politics and internal issues," he said.
Misbah, 40, who has led Pakistan in all formats of the game since late 2010 is not seen as a popular choice to captain in the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand by a particularly strong lobby within and outside the board which has promoted flamboyant allrounder, Shahid Afridi as a better choice to lead the side in one-day internationals.
Even chief selector and team manager, Moin Khan had at a press conference sometime back confirmed there had been discussions held on Misbah`s captaincy and on a possible change in captain.
He later denied he was speaking in specific terms about the ongoing controversy over whether Misbah or Afridi should lead the team.
"Misbah has led the side well and I thought this move would also give him more confidence and allow the players to just focus on their game and I can say things have settled down now with the announcement," Sethi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says