Misbah-ul-Haq to remain Pakistan`s ODI captain till 2015 World Cup
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) decided to retain Misbah-ul-Haq as Test and ODI captain until the next World Cup in 2015 in order to crush apparent unrest in the national team over the captaincy issue.
Outgoing Chairman of the board, Najam Sethi said on Geo TV that there was some intrigue and politics going on in the team over the captaincy issue.
"Even the media was promoting their favorites for the captaincy and there was something going on in the team," Sethi admitted.
"That is why I decided the best solution is to announce Misbah as captain until the World Cup to end any politics and internal issues," he said.
Misbah, 40, who has led Pakistan in all formats of the game since late 2010 is not seen as a popular choice to captain in the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand by a particularly strong lobby within and outside the board which has promoted flamboyant allrounder, Shahid Afridi as a better choice to lead the side in one-day internationals.
Even chief selector and team manager, Moin Khan had at a press conference sometime back confirmed there had been discussions held on Misbah`s captaincy and on a possible change in captain.
He later denied he was speaking in specific terms about the ongoing controversy over whether Misbah or Afridi should lead the team.
"Misbah has led the side well and I thought this move would also give him more confidence and allow the players to just focus on their game and I can say things have settled down now with the announcement," Sethi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried