Misbah-ul Haq, Waqar Younis target top Test spot for Pakistan
Skipper Misbah-ul Haq and head coach Waqar Younis Saturday said they were aiming for Pakistan to claim the top Test spot as they left for a Test and one-day series against Sri Lanka.
Pakistan, currently third in the Test rankings, briefly attained world number two in 2006 but have never been number one.
Misbah said Pakistan could take the top spot if they won in Sri Lanka and against Australia in October.
"We have a very good chance and it`s a big motivation for us to become top Test team," Misbah told reporters as the team departed for Colombo.
Pakistan open the tour with the first of two Tests in Galle starting from August 6. They also play three one-day matches.
"We will do our best to grab this as we have a very good opportunity to reach the top," said Misbah.
Misbah said playing Tests after a gap of more than six months since their last series in January had mixed effects.
"I think everything has its advantages and disadvantages and playing a Test after a gap too has its good and bad effects," he said.
"We got a gap so we worked on our fitness and worked on some tactical issues but the disadvantage is that we need time to return to the Test format but we have the first Test at Galle in our focus and will have to be up to the mark," said Misbah.
Misbah predicted a close series with Sri Lanka, who last month lost to South Africa 1-0 in a two-Test series.
"Both teams know each other well," said Misbah of Sri Lanka, who Pakistan have played in five series in as many years.
"I think both the teams have good combinations and it will be a close Test series," said Misbah.
Waqar agreed Pakistan`s next two series are as important as next year`s World Cup.
"The main target is the World Cup but we have very important series in Sri Lanka and then two more against Australia and New Zealand so we have to focus on all these events and try our best to win them," said Waqar, appointed for two years in May.
Waqar said Pakistan can take inspiration from their last Test win over Sri Lanka in Sharjah when they chased 302 on the last day.
"That win in Sharjah will be a great motivation because we were really positive in that chase," said Waqar.
"We should continue that and like South Africa, who are world`s best team, do our best."
Waqar said the induction of former Zimbabwe opener Grant Flower as batting coach would help the team.
"He has a very good reputation as a very positive and gritty man so his induction will surely help the team," said Waqar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM