Misbah wanted Afridi to participate in upcoming India tour
Karachi: Pakistan cricketer Misbahul Haq, who captains the one-day squad, wanted all-rounder Shahid Afridi to be a part of the series to be held in India, but his suggestion was rejected by the selectors, it has been revealed. "Misbah wanted Afridi in the squad at the cost of Umar Akmal but the selectors rejected his suggestion. Misbah`s argument was that Afridi remains a match winning player despite being out of form and his experience would count for a lot in India under pressure and secondly that his presence would put pressure on the Indian side given his past performances," the Daily Times quoted a source, as saying.
The source said the selectors insisted on keeping Afridi out of the one-day squad saying they wanted to rebuild the one-day team keeping in mind the next World Cup. "Misbah`s argument was also that since they had retained Afridi in the T20 squad he should also be given a chance in the ODI squad," the source said. Another source stated that the selectors had also told Afridi that the two T20 matches in India would be crucial for his future as a Pakistan team member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert