Mithun named replacement for Praveen Kumar
Cuttack: India received a setback on the eve of their five-match ODI series opener against the West Indies after pace spearhead Praveen Kumar was ruled out of the first three ODIs due chest injury.
Karnataka medium pacer Abhimanyu Mithun will replace him for the first three matches.
"Praveen Kumar has got a blunt chest on the left side, and has therefore been ruled out of the first three ODIs against the West Indies. Abhimanyu Mithun will replace him in the squad for the first three games," secretary Sanjay Jagdale was quoted as saying in a media release issued by BCCI.
Earlier skipper Virender Sehwag during the pre-match conference had said that Praveen had "niggle" and expected to be fit for the second ODIs.
"Praveen Kumar has a niggle so he is not available for first ODI. We expect him to join the squad tomorrow and be fit for the second match," Sehwag told reporters here today.
In the absence of Praveen Kumar, R Vinay Kumar will lead the pace department along with Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez