Mithun takes six-for as Karnataka bowl out Odisha for 226
Cuttack: Karnataka had Odisha on the mat as they rode on Abhimanyu Mithun`s six-wicket haul to bundle the hosts out for a meagre 226 before themselves finishing day one on 22 for no loss in their Group A Ranji Trophy match here on Thursday.
Abhilash Mallick (98) was the lone batsman to make significant contribution, besides putting on important partnerships with the tailenders, even as Odisha crumbled in face of the disciplined bowling by Karnataka.
While Mithun finished with impressive figures of six for 52, Abrar Kazi (2/38) chipped in with two, and Sreenath Aravind (1/54) and HS Sharath (1/58) took wicket apiece. Put in to bat, Odisha could never manage to settle down and kept losing wickets at regular intervals to be reeling at 66 for seven at one stage.
But just when it seemed that Odisha`s innings would fold for less than 100 runs, Mallick came to the team`s rescue. He played with a lot of responsibility, besides putting on two important 50-plus partnerships with the tailenders.
Single-handedly Mallick bailed the team out of trouble as he scored a brilliant 98 off 122 balls, laced with 16 fours and a six. He spent 158 minutes in the middle. He also put on a 54-run stand for the eighth wicket with Alok Sahoo (14), followed by another crucial 52 runs with Basant Mohanty (19 not out) for the ninth wicket.
Mohanty then coupled with last man, Suryakant Pradhan (34) to put on 54 runs together for the 10th wicket and ensure the team cross the 200-run mark. At stumps, Karnataka openers -- Robin Uthappa (6 not out) and Mayank Agarwal (11 not out) -- were at the crease.
Odisha 1st innings: 226 all out in 71.1 overs (Abhilash Mallick 98, Suryakant Pradhan 34; Abhimanyu Mithun 6/52).
Karnataka 1st innings: 22 for no loss in 4 overs (Mayank Agarwal batting 11).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional