Mithun takes six-for as Karnataka bowl out Odisha for 226
Cuttack: Karnataka had Odisha on the mat as they rode on Abhimanyu Mithun`s six-wicket haul to bundle the hosts out for a meagre 226 before themselves finishing day one on 22 for no loss in their Group A Ranji Trophy match here on Thursday.
Abhilash Mallick (98) was the lone batsman to make significant contribution, besides putting on important partnerships with the tailenders, even as Odisha crumbled in face of the disciplined bowling by Karnataka.
While Mithun finished with impressive figures of six for 52, Abrar Kazi (2/38) chipped in with two, and Sreenath Aravind (1/54) and HS Sharath (1/58) took wicket apiece. Put in to bat, Odisha could never manage to settle down and kept losing wickets at regular intervals to be reeling at 66 for seven at one stage.
But just when it seemed that Odisha`s innings would fold for less than 100 runs, Mallick came to the team`s rescue. He played with a lot of responsibility, besides putting on two important 50-plus partnerships with the tailenders.
Single-handedly Mallick bailed the team out of trouble as he scored a brilliant 98 off 122 balls, laced with 16 fours and a six. He spent 158 minutes in the middle. He also put on a 54-run stand for the eighth wicket with Alok Sahoo (14), followed by another crucial 52 runs with Basant Mohanty (19 not out) for the ninth wicket.
Mohanty then coupled with last man, Suryakant Pradhan (34) to put on 54 runs together for the 10th wicket and ensure the team cross the 200-run mark. At stumps, Karnataka openers -- Robin Uthappa (6 not out) and Mayank Agarwal (11 not out) -- were at the crease.
Odisha 1st innings: 226 all out in 71.1 overs (Abhilash Mallick 98, Suryakant Pradhan 34; Abhimanyu Mithun 6/52).
Karnataka 1st innings: 22 for no loss in 4 overs (Mayank Agarwal batting 11).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Michael Schumacher is 'reacting' to treatment: Ex-Ferrari boss
- This lake in Sikkim will leave you spellbound – In pics
- Pakistan needs to actively pursue terrorist organisations using their soil, says US
- PSEB 10th result 2016: Tarn Taran girl Simrandeep Kaur tops Punjab School Education Board 10th result with 99.08%
- Check Biharboard.bih.nic.in & Biharboard.ac.in for BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12th XII Intermediate Arts Result 2016 to be announced today - just an hour to go