Modi to inaugurate SCA stadium on Jan 6
Rajkot: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the newly built SCA stadium near Khandheri here on January 6, official sources said.
The stadium will host its first ODI match to be played between India and England on January 11.
"I wanted Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate the stadium and I`m happy that he has accepted our proposal to do so on January 6," Niranjan Shah, the honorary secretary of Saurashtra Cricket Association, said.
"The stadium, built at a cost of Rs 75 crore, is spread over 5.50 lakh square feet ares and the land was purchased in 2004 near Khandheri on Rajkot-Jamnagar highway," Shah said, adding Modi himself had laid its foundation stone in 2006.
BCCI president N Srinavasan, secretary Sanjay Jagdale, former president of GCA (Gujarat Cricket Association) Narhari Amin and GCA vice president Amit Shah are likely to attend the inaugural function, sources in the SCA said.
Rajkot is hosting the first day-night ODI match to be played at SCA stadium, Khandheri, between India and England on January 11.
From 1986 to 2011, the city had hosted 12 ODI matches and all were played at Madhavrao Scindia Cricket ground which is owned by Rajkot Municipal Corporation (RMC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday