Modi to inaugurate SCA stadium on Jan 6
Rajkot: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the newly built SCA stadium near Khandheri here on January 6, official sources said.
The stadium will host its first ODI match to be played between India and England on January 11.
"I wanted Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate the stadium and I`m happy that he has accepted our proposal to do so on January 6," Niranjan Shah, the honorary secretary of Saurashtra Cricket Association, said.
"The stadium, built at a cost of Rs 75 crore, is spread over 5.50 lakh square feet ares and the land was purchased in 2004 near Khandheri on Rajkot-Jamnagar highway," Shah said, adding Modi himself had laid its foundation stone in 2006.
BCCI president N Srinavasan, secretary Sanjay Jagdale, former president of GCA (Gujarat Cricket Association) Narhari Amin and GCA vice president Amit Shah are likely to attend the inaugural function, sources in the SCA said.
Rajkot is hosting the first day-night ODI match to be played at SCA stadium, Khandheri, between India and England on January 11.
From 1986 to 2011, the city had hosted 12 ODI matches and all were played at Madhavrao Scindia Cricket ground which is owned by Rajkot Municipal Corporation (RMC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'