Mohammed Kaif`s unbeaten 101 steers Uttar Pradesh to 276/6
Shimoga: Mohammed Kaif`s unbeaten 101 and his century-plus stand with Bhuvneshwar Kumar took Uttar Pradesh within 38 runs of snatching the crucial first innings lead against Karnataka on day two of the Ranji Trophy Elite Division Group `A` match on Thursday.
Restricting Karnataka to 314, Uttar Pradesh made 276 for six when stumps were drawn for the day at Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering Ground.
As had Karnataka on the first day (171 for five), Uttar Pradesh too were floundering at 172 for six before Kaif, who batted with intent, and Bhuvneshwar (52 batting) reconstructed the tattered innings with an undefeated 104-run stand.
A lot will depend on this duo if Uttar Pradesh are to establish a sizeable lead and try to force a win in the match. Only a victory will help them beat Punjab to a quarter-final berth from Group A.
Kaif struck fifteen boundaries during his 308-minute stay at the crease. Bhuvneshwar, who came away with a five-wicket haul, hit five boundaries.
Mokul Daggar (37) and Parvinder Singh (46) also contributed their mite.
Earlier, Karnataka, resuming at their overnight score of 300 for seven, barely lasted five overs in the first session as Bhuvneshwar ran through the lower order.
The talented seamer accounted for the scalp of S L Akshay (16), Stuart Binny (94) and N C Aiyappa (1) to put Uttar Pradesh back in the saddle.
Bhuvneshwar finished with impressive figures of five for 84.
Binny fell six runs short of what would have been his third hundred of the season, nicking Bhuvneshwar to skipper Suresh Raina. He hit 10 fours and two sixes during his 165-minute vigil at the wicket.
Brief scores: Karnataka 314 all out in 95 overs (Stuart Binny 94, Bhuvneshwar Kumar 5/84, Imtiyaz Ahmed 3/80).
Uttar Pradesh: 276 for 6 in 83 overs (Mohammad Kaif 101 batting, Bhuvneshwar Kumar 52 batting; Amit Verma 1/19, Sunil Raju 1/29).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!