Mohanty emerges as dark horse for East Zone selector`s post
Kolkata: Former India fast bowler Debasish Mohanty has emerged as the dark horse for the national selectors post from East Zone.
In the wake of clear division over Bengal`s choice of little-known Arup Bhattacharya, the Orissa Cricket Association (OCA) has written to the all the remaining five affiliated units of the BCCI, proposing Mohanty`s name.
OCA`s point of argument is that Bengal`s Raja Venkat had already served a term as the East Zone selector, so somebody else should be given a chance this time around.
The top office bearers of all the six units are currently in Mumbai for an intra-zonal meeting tomorrow, on the eve of BCCI AGM.
Asked about Bhattacharya, who has the backing of his brother-in-law Firhad Hakim, the urban development and municipal affairs minister in the ruling West Bengal government, OCA secretary Asirbad Behera said: "We have heard these in reports."
"But we all know how popular Mohanty is from the East Zone. We have written to all the units, proposing Mohanty`s name. Mohanty`s record speak for himself. He fits the bill," said Behera.
The other two names doing the rounds from East Zone are of Devang Gandhi and former India wicket-keeper Deep Dasgupta.
Tripura C ricket Association`s general secretary Arindam Ganguly refused to name their choice of candidate but added: "We want the best person to represent the East Zone. Be it somebody from Bengal or Mohanty."
Mohanty has represented India in 45 ODIs and two Test matches. But Bhattacharya never played any international match, having represented Bengal in 48 first-class games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report