Moin Khan becomes Pakistan's youngest chief selector
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board today opted for a younger chief selector when it appointed former captain Moin Khan to the position after the sudden resignation of Iqbal Qasim last month.
Moin, 41, is the youngest person to be named to the chief selector`s post by the board.
The former wicketkeeper-batsman, who played 69 Tests and 219 one-day internationals, said he saw his new assignment as a big challenge.
"Being chief selector in Pakistan cricket is a tough challenge for anyone because selection is not an easy job in a country where everyone is passionate about cricket," Moin said.
"But I have a clear vision off how to go about things and start preparing for the 2015 World Cup. I can say there is talent in Pakistan cricket," he added.
An official of the Pakistan Cricket Board said that Moin had met with the acting Chairman of the board, Najam Sethi in Lahore today in which he discussed in details the role of the selectors and his vision for the future.
Qasim had resigned as chief selector after the Pakistan team lost all three of its group matches in the Champions Trophy in England in June.
Qasim cited personal and health reasons for his decision to step down but privately it was known he was unhappy with interference from the team management in selection affairs.
The board said the other members of the selection committee would continue to work under Moin until further orders.
The other selectors include former test players Saleem Jaffer, Azhar Khan and Farrukh Zaman.
Moin indicated to the media in Lahore that he had been given the task of preparing for the 2015 World Cup and would be looking to form his own team of selectors.
Moin also made it clear that he would work with the same sincerity as chief selector as he had served the national team.
"The way I look at it some hard decisions will need to be taken but we have to all keep in mind that we need to have a strong squad for the coming World Cup," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof