Morkel says ‘IPL experienced’ players can’t blame conditions for WC failure
Johannesburg: South Africa fast bowler Morne Morkel has said the team won’t be able to blame subcontinental conditions if they choke in the World Cup in Sri Lanka because of the experience many Proteas players have gained playing in similar conditions in the Indian Premier League (IPL)
The South Africans held their first practice session of the tournament at the Colts Cricket Ground on Sunday afternoon and got a feel for the climate, which can be challenging at times
“It’s very humid here at the moment. It’s almost similar to Chennai and we expect the conditions to be fairly the same,” Sports 24 quoted Morkel, as saying.
“We play a game against New Zealand and for us that is the business day of the tournament, we need to work on our basics and find our feet. We have played a lot of cricket over the past few years in the sub-continent so we can’t use that as an excuse, we have to try and control the things that we can control and take it from there,” he added.
“We have a lot of experience in our team, the players have played a lot of T20 cricket in these conditions with the IPL so I think we will be fine,” he said.
South Africa would play their first group stage match against Zimbabwe on Thursday in Hambantota.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla