MP Sachin Tendulkar yet to attend a session in Parliament this year
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar, despite his God-like status in India, thanks to his exploits in cricketing fields, is yet to mark his attendance in Parliament this year. The 41-year-old was nominated as a member of Rajya Sabha (Upper House of the Parliament) in 2012, but the legend could make only three appearances last year.
When asked about his indifferent performance in Parliament by a Zee Media correspondent, the former Indian captain chose not to answer and walked-away.
Besides the batting maestro, the attendance of yesteryear's screen siren Rekha also came to light. The 59-year-old actress has so far attended the parliamentary sitting only seven times.
Sachin Tendulkar, Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga were nominated to the 250-member Rajya Sabha in 2012. Their nomination was approved by by the then President Pratibha Patil under Article 80 of the Indian Constitution.
As a notable tradition, famous personalities from varied backgrounds are nominated into the Indian parliament for their contributions to the society. But their attendance often becomes a national issue as many don't consider it important enough to make their presence in the floor of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts