MP Sachin Tendulkar yet to attend a session in Parliament this year
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar, despite his God-like status in India, thanks to his exploits in cricketing fields, is yet to mark his attendance in Parliament this year. The 41-year-old was nominated as a member of Rajya Sabha (Upper House of the Parliament) in 2012, but the legend could make only three appearances last year.
When asked about his indifferent performance in Parliament by a Zee Media correspondent, the former Indian captain chose not to answer and walked-away.
Besides the batting maestro, the attendance of yesteryear's screen siren Rekha also came to light. The 59-year-old actress has so far attended the parliamentary sitting only seven times.
Sachin Tendulkar, Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga were nominated to the 250-member Rajya Sabha in 2012. Their nomination was approved by by the then President Pratibha Patil under Article 80 of the Indian Constitution.
As a notable tradition, famous personalities from varied backgrounds are nominated into the Indian parliament for their contributions to the society. But their attendance often becomes a national issue as many don't consider it important enough to make their presence in the floor of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India