MP Sachin Tendulkar yet to attend a session in Parliament this year
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar, despite his God-like status in India, thanks to his exploits in cricketing fields, is yet to mark his attendance in Parliament this year. The 41-year-old was nominated as a member of Rajya Sabha (Upper House of the Parliament) in 2012, but the legend could make only three appearances last year.
When asked about his indifferent performance in Parliament by a Zee Media correspondent, the former Indian captain chose not to answer and walked-away.
Besides the batting maestro, the attendance of yesteryear's screen siren Rekha also came to light. The 59-year-old actress has so far attended the parliamentary sitting only seven times.
Sachin Tendulkar, Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga were nominated to the 250-member Rajya Sabha in 2012. Their nomination was approved by by the then President Pratibha Patil under Article 80 of the Indian Constitution.
As a notable tradition, famous personalities from varied backgrounds are nominated into the Indian parliament for their contributions to the society. But their attendance often becomes a national issue as many don't consider it important enough to make their presence in the floor of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations