Mukund stars with century in India Red`s victory
Nagpur: Abhinav Mukund smashed a sparkling century as India Red recorded a comprehensive five-wicket victory over India Blue in the opening match of the NKP Salve Challenger Series.
Mukund (127) held one end together for most part of the India Red`s chase of 275-run target after his side were reduced to 15 for two in the second over as openers Shikhar Dhawan (3) and Gautam Gambhir (11) departed early.
Coming at one-down at team score of six for one, Mukund stitched two substantial partnerships -- 71 with Ashok Menaria (19) for the fourth wicket and 147 with wicketkeeper batsman Wriddhiman Saha (65 not out) for the fifth wicket from 26.1 overs to take India Red to victory with 15 balls to spare at VCA Stadium at Jamtha.
Mukund, who struck 10 fours from the 133 balls he faced, found an able ally in Saha as the duo took the match away from India Red`s grasp with a solid batting display after coming together in the 21st over. Saha`s 80-ball unbeaten innings included just three fours.
India Red skipper Gambhir, who will be playing couple of round robin matches in order to gear up for ODI series against England, fell cheaply bowled by Pradeep Sangwan after facing six balls. His opening partner Dhawan was the first to go dismissed by Irfan Pathan in the fifth ball of the innings.
Yusuf Pathan and Maneria contributed 22 and 19 respectively and it was left to Mukund and Saha to score the bulk of the runs for his side to win the match.
Mukund was out in the 47th over with just 12 runs away from the target and Saha ensured that there was no hiccup as India Red reached 275 for five.
For India Blue, Sangwan was the most successful bowler, taking three wickets for 61 runs while Irfan Pathan and Pragyan Ojha chipped in with a wicket apiece.
This was the first domestic limited overs match that is being played under the new ICC rules where two new balls are being used from two ends in each innings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM