Mumbai in sight of an outright victory against Railways
New Delhi: The formidable Mumbai side look firm favourites to win their opening Ranji Trophy Elite group encounter as hosts Railways still require 106 runs to make visitors bat again.
Replying to Mumbai`s challenging first innings score of 483, Railways were shot out for a none-too-impressive 256 on a slow Karnail Singh track --- 78 runs short of avoiding follow-on. Railways were 121 for two in their second essay with former UP opener Shivakant Shukla fighting it out with a gutsy unbeaten 64.
The day started with Railways precariously [placed at 66 for three. Railways skipper Sanjay Bangar in his 18th first-class season used his vast repertoire of experience holding one end up with a typically dogged 89. However he did chance his arm hitting 11 boundaries and three sixes in his 174 ball knock. However he distinctly lacked support from the other end.
Bangaer was finally the eighth Railway batsman to be dismissed being caught by Rohit Sharma off left-arm spinner Ankeet Chavan`s bowling.
For Mumbai, old warhorse Ramesh Powar (3/76) and young Chavan (3/34) bowled well to grab the lion`s share of the spoils.
Save Bangar, only Murali Karthik hit a few blows at the rear to take the score past 250-run mark. Karthik hit 48 off only 42 deliveries with the help of six boundaries and a six.
Brief Scores: Mumbai 483. Railways 256 (S Bangar 89, M Karthik 48, R Powar 3/76, A Chavan 3/34) & 121/2 (SS Shukla 64 batting).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Subramanian Swamy at it again! Attacks Economic Affairs Secy Shaktikanta Das; Arun Jaitley calls it unfair
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report
- Rousseff ex-minister arrested in Brazil graft probe
- 4,500 people rescued in Mediterranean: Italy coastguard
- Vijender Singh out of Olympic contention, wishes best for Vikas Krishan