Mumbai Indians buy Karthik from Kings XI Punjab, give Sathish
New Delhi: IPL side Mumbai Indians have bought Tamil Nadu wicketkeeper Dinesh Karthik from Kings XI Punjab in the first player transfer ahead of the the fifth edition of the Twenty20 league, it has been reported.
Karthik was bagged by Mumbai Indians for an undisclosed sum and in exchange all-rounder R Sathish will go to Kings XI.
According to a BCCI insider it was the highest sum paid to buy a player from another team in the history of the IPL.
"It was a substantial sum and easily the highest in terms of strictly trading terms. Mumbai wanted a keeper. Punjab did not mind as they were getting a good amount of money," an unnamed BCCI official was quoted as saying by a website.
It is understood that Mumbai have paid somewhere between USD 2-2.5 million (Rs 10.59-13.2 crores) for Karthik, the report further said.
The franchises have a limited money to spend during the auctions but there is no cap on spending during trading.
According to IPL rules, 20% of the profit made in a trade goes to the player with the rest going to the franchise selling him.
Karthik had spent the first three IPL seasons at the Delhi Daredevils.
The first window for trading between IPL franchises closes on January 20. There will be another short window for trading after the February 4 auction in which the players of now terminated franchise Kochi Tuskers Kerala will be sold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city