Mumbai oust TN to enter semis
Mumbai: Tamil Nadu skipper Indrajeet Baba put up a valiant effort by scoring an unbeaten 163 but could not stop Mumbai from entering the semifinals of the Cooch Behar under 19 Trophy as the hosts took an invaluable first innings lead of 87 runs on Monday.
Indrajeet, who was the visitors` main hope last evening when he remained unconquered on 84 in a team total of 308 for six in reply to Mumbai`s mammoth 535 for 8 declared, ran out of partners as TN ended with 448 in 153.2 overs to concede the lead and also lost the chance to advance in the tournament.
In all, the middle order batsman occupied the crease for nearly eight hours and faced 297 balls, hitting a six and 20 fours off them.
Home team captain Harmeet Singh was the most successful of the bowlers used, claiming 3 for 143. Medium pacer Harshal Soni picked up two victims, including the crucial wicket of last evening`s not out batsman R Vishnu to break the troublesome seventh wicket stand at 324.
In the remaining time, Mumbai made 68 for one in the second essay before the four-day match petered out into a tame draw at the Mumbai Cricket Association`s BKC complex.
In the four-day semi-finals from January 20-23, Mumbai would cross swords with Uttar Pradesh at the Wankhede Stadium here, while Maharashtra would clash with Himachal Pradesh at Pune`s Deccan Gymkhana.
Brief scores: Mumbai 535 for 8 decl. and 68 for 1 (Akhil Herwadkar not out 46) v/s Tamil Nadu 448 (Aparajeet Baba 71, Indrajeet Baba 163 not out, J Kaushik 41, R Vishnu 72; Harshal Soni 2 for 70, Harmeet Singh 3 for 143; Harshal Soni 2 for 70).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation