Mumbai reduced to 70/5 after bowling out MP for 192
Indore: Hosts Madhya Pradesh made a strong comeback running through the Mumbai top-order after being dismissed for a paltry 192 on the first day of the Ranji Trophy quarterfinal, being played at Holkar Stadium.
At stumps, Mumbai were precariously placed at 70 for five -- still needing 123 runs to get a first innings lead.
However, if the first day`s play is an indicator, an outright result is certainly on the cards.
Mumbai skipper Wasim Jaffer won the toss and elected to field. The track assisted seamers and the trio of Dhawal Kulkarni (5-74), Kshemal Waingankar (3-29) and Balwinder Singh Sandhu (2-74) bowled in good areas to dismiss the opposition in 55.1 overs.
For the home team, their in-form batsman Udit Birla smashed an unbeaten 63 off only 50 balls which helped the home team. Birla hit 13 boundaries.
However the pace duo of Kulkarni and Sandhu gave away atleast 30 runs more than what it was expected as Birla, TP Sudhindra (23) and Amarjit Singh (16) were given some easy boundaries. Sudhindra and Amarjeet in fact hit eight boundaries between them.
When Mumbai came out to bat, Omkar Gurav (6) and Praful Waghela (17) started on a cautious note adding 26 runs in 14 overs.
Sudhindra finally breached Gurav`s defence in his seventh and 15th over of the innings. In the very next over, he got an inswinger that trapped southpaw Waghela plumb in-front.
While Kautubh Pawar (30 batting, 5x4) had held one end up, veteran Jaffer`s nightmare of a season continued as he was snapped up wicketkeeper Naman Ojha off medium pacer Amarjeet Singh. Jaffer made only one. All-rounder Murtuza Ali then came on to bowl his seam up stuff and got rid of dangerous Surya Yadav (12) and nightwatchman Waingankar (0).
Madhya Pradesh (1st Innings): 192 in 55.1 overs
Mumbai (1st Innings): 70/5 in 33 overs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next