Mumbai reduced to 70/5 after bowling out MP for 192
Indore: Hosts Madhya Pradesh made a strong comeback running through the Mumbai top-order after being dismissed for a paltry 192 on the first day of the Ranji Trophy quarterfinal, being played at Holkar Stadium.
At stumps, Mumbai were precariously placed at 70 for five -- still needing 123 runs to get a first innings lead.
However, if the first day`s play is an indicator, an outright result is certainly on the cards.
Mumbai skipper Wasim Jaffer won the toss and elected to field. The track assisted seamers and the trio of Dhawal Kulkarni (5-74), Kshemal Waingankar (3-29) and Balwinder Singh Sandhu (2-74) bowled in good areas to dismiss the opposition in 55.1 overs.
For the home team, their in-form batsman Udit Birla smashed an unbeaten 63 off only 50 balls which helped the home team. Birla hit 13 boundaries.
However the pace duo of Kulkarni and Sandhu gave away atleast 30 runs more than what it was expected as Birla, TP Sudhindra (23) and Amarjit Singh (16) were given some easy boundaries. Sudhindra and Amarjeet in fact hit eight boundaries between them.
When Mumbai came out to bat, Omkar Gurav (6) and Praful Waghela (17) started on a cautious note adding 26 runs in 14 overs.
Sudhindra finally breached Gurav`s defence in his seventh and 15th over of the innings. In the very next over, he got an inswinger that trapped southpaw Waghela plumb in-front.
While Kautubh Pawar (30 batting, 5x4) had held one end up, veteran Jaffer`s nightmare of a season continued as he was snapped up wicketkeeper Naman Ojha off medium pacer Amarjeet Singh. Jaffer made only one. All-rounder Murtuza Ali then came on to bowl his seam up stuff and got rid of dangerous Surya Yadav (12) and nightwatchman Waingankar (0).
Madhya Pradesh (1st Innings): 192 in 55.1 overs
Mumbai (1st Innings): 70/5 in 33 overs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth