Mumbai reduced to 70/5 after bowling out MP for 192
Indore: Hosts Madhya Pradesh made a strong comeback running through the Mumbai top-order after being dismissed for a paltry 192 on the first day of the Ranji Trophy quarterfinal, being played at Holkar Stadium.
At stumps, Mumbai were precariously placed at 70 for five -- still needing 123 runs to get a first innings lead.
However, if the first day`s play is an indicator, an outright result is certainly on the cards.
Mumbai skipper Wasim Jaffer won the toss and elected to field. The track assisted seamers and the trio of Dhawal Kulkarni (5-74), Kshemal Waingankar (3-29) and Balwinder Singh Sandhu (2-74) bowled in good areas to dismiss the opposition in 55.1 overs.
For the home team, their in-form batsman Udit Birla smashed an unbeaten 63 off only 50 balls which helped the home team. Birla hit 13 boundaries.
However the pace duo of Kulkarni and Sandhu gave away atleast 30 runs more than what it was expected as Birla, TP Sudhindra (23) and Amarjit Singh (16) were given some easy boundaries. Sudhindra and Amarjeet in fact hit eight boundaries between them.
When Mumbai came out to bat, Omkar Gurav (6) and Praful Waghela (17) started on a cautious note adding 26 runs in 14 overs.
Sudhindra finally breached Gurav`s defence in his seventh and 15th over of the innings. In the very next over, he got an inswinger that trapped southpaw Waghela plumb in-front.
While Kautubh Pawar (30 batting, 5x4) had held one end up, veteran Jaffer`s nightmare of a season continued as he was snapped up wicketkeeper Naman Ojha off medium pacer Amarjeet Singh. Jaffer made only one. All-rounder Murtuza Ali then came on to bowl his seam up stuff and got rid of dangerous Surya Yadav (12) and nightwatchman Waingankar (0).
Madhya Pradesh (1st Innings): 192 in 55.1 overs
Mumbai (1st Innings): 70/5 in 33 overs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof