Munaf, Yusuf presented Eklavya award after 14 months` delay
Vadodara: All-rounder Yusuf Pathan, a member of the World Cup winning cricket team, has finally been presented the Gujarat Government`s Eklavya Award, almost 14 months after it was announced.
The award was also presented to his teammate and fellow Gujarati, Munaf Patel, at his residence in Bharuch on Wednesday.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi had announced the awards for Munaf and Yusuf Pathan in April 2011.
"Every Gujarati is proud of the achievement of our cricket team," Modi had said.
But the actual hand-over did not happen. Narhari Amin, former president of the Gujarat Cricket Association, slammed Modi for this delay two days ago. Modi currently heads the Gujarat Cricket Association.
Yesterday, the awards were presented to the two players.
Eklavya Award is the highest sports award set up by the Gujarat government.
The officials of Youth, Cultural Activities and Sports Ministry visited Pathan`s house here and the award was presented in the presence of Mehbubkhan, his father. A cheque of Rs one lakh was also presented to him.
Pathan said, "As a Gujarati I am delighted to get this award and feel proud."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian