Munaf, Yusuf presented Eklavya award after 14 months` delay
Vadodara: All-rounder Yusuf Pathan, a member of the World Cup winning cricket team, has finally been presented the Gujarat Government`s Eklavya Award, almost 14 months after it was announced.
The award was also presented to his teammate and fellow Gujarati, Munaf Patel, at his residence in Bharuch on Wednesday.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi had announced the awards for Munaf and Yusuf Pathan in April 2011.
"Every Gujarati is proud of the achievement of our cricket team," Modi had said.
But the actual hand-over did not happen. Narhari Amin, former president of the Gujarat Cricket Association, slammed Modi for this delay two days ago. Modi currently heads the Gujarat Cricket Association.
Yesterday, the awards were presented to the two players.
Eklavya Award is the highest sports award set up by the Gujarat government.
The officials of Youth, Cultural Activities and Sports Ministry visited Pathan`s house here and the award was presented in the presence of Mehbubkhan, his father. A cheque of Rs one lakh was also presented to him.
Pathan said, "As a Gujarati I am delighted to get this award and feel proud."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!