Munde appeals against rejection of nomination for MCA polls
Mumbai: BJP leader Gopinath Munde on Tuesday filed an appeal against the rejection of his candidature for the contest to select the president of the Mumbai Cricket Association at its biennial election scheduled for Oct. 18.
The decision on Munde`s appeal against the verdict by the election officer ? who on Saturday rejected his application on the basis of the residential criteria ? is to be taken up tomorrow, sources said.
"His application was rejected as the address on his electoral registration was Beed. He can appeal before Oct. 15," MCA joint secretary Nitin Dalal had said after Munde`s candidature had been turned down.
According to MCA rules, only a Mumbai resident can become a governing member of the cricketing body.
A representative of Munde`s, who came to file the appeal on behalf of the BJP leader at the association office, submitted residential proof like passport details, power bills etc., the sources added.
Munde is allowed to send a representative at the hearing on his appeal, to be presided over by the election officer in the presence of outgoing president Ravi Savant. The verdict would come by 3 P.M. Tomorrow, the sources said.
Were Munde`s appeal to be rejected, Union Agriculture Minister and former MCA chief Sharad Pawar will be the sole candidate left in fray for the presidentship.
A local club, Stylo Cricket Club from Mazgaon, had forwarded Munde`s name to MCA last month saying the former Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister would represent it at the elections.
According to rules, a candidate needs to be representing an MCA-affiliated club in order to be able to contest polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark