Munde`s application for MCA presidentship rejected
Mumbai: Senior BJP leader Gopinath Munde, who had filed his nomination to contest for the presidentship of the Mumbai Cricket Association at its biennial election on October 18, on Saturday suffered a huge setback as his application was rejected on the basis of the residential criteria.
According to MCA rules, only a resident of Mumbai can become a governing member of the cricket body and Munde now has two days` time to appeal to the Association.
Yesterday was the last day for filing the nominations and today the forms were scrutinised.
"His application was rejected as the address on his electoral registration was Beed. He can appeal before October 15," MCA joint secretary Nitin Dalal told PTI.
This leaves only Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar in the fray for the presidentship, and interestingly Pawar had faced a similar dilemma in 2011.
Pawar was disqualified from contesting the elections in 2011, since he was listed as a resident of Baramati and not Mumbai.
The NCP chief had changed his address this year in the electoral registration to comply with the MCA norms.
A local club, Stylo Cricket Club from Mazgaon, had forwarded Munde`s name to MCA last month saying the former Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra would represent it at the election.
According to rules, a candidate needs representation of an MCA-affiliated club to contest polls.
The interest in the election had shot up when the Mazgaon Cricket Club sent a letter to the association, saying Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, who belongs to Congress, would represent the club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state