Murali cautions Australia over Lanka tour boycott
London: Former Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan has cautioned Australia not to consider a boycott of a tour to his country, and does not share the view expressed by almost 3000 people in a poll conducted by a leading daily.
“Sport and politics are different. If Australia is not going to play any more in Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe … If they only play in some countries, world cricket will die and IPL (Indian Premier League) will take over,” the daily quoted Muralitharan, as saying.
Muralitharan’s reaction comes in the wake of a poll involving 3527 people in which 2856 (81 percent) said that the Australian tour should not be undertaken.
The tour to Sri Lanka will go ahead as scheduled, but since the screening on Four Corners of a graphic Channel 4 documentary about atrocities committed at the end of the Sri Lankan civil war and its aftermath, unease has been privately expressed by some players.
Muralitharan is playing for English county Gloucestershire, said that while players were entitled to make individual decisions, withdrawing from the tour would have dire consequences for world cricket.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has raised no objection to the Sri Lankan tour and CA is committed to it, conscious of cricket`s power as a unifying force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India