Murali to inaugurate cricket pitches in former LTTE stronghold
Colombo: Sri Lankan spin legend Muttiah Muralitharan will be inaugurating the new cricket pitches laid in a stadium in the former LTTE stronghold of Kilinochchi.
He will declare open cricket pitches developed by the governing body Sri Lanka Cricket at the Kilinochchi central college on Tuesday.
Kilinochchi served as the LTTE`s administrative headquarters when they ran their parallel administration.
In addition, Murali will conduct a small spin clinic for the Tamil kids who are recovering from the end of a 30-year old bloody armed separatist campaign waged by the LTTE.
Murali, a Sri Lankan of Tamil origin, was the most prominent of a very limited number of minority community, who have worn Sri Lanka colours.
Hailing from central hill country, Murali was admired across communities during the height of the separatist war.
Murali Cup, a tournament which is being currently played with representative schools teams from the former war torn areas of north and east is aimed at scouting young talent to represent Sri Lanka in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday
- Delhi, Jammu, Shimla see hottest day of season; Telangana toll 178
- Rahul Gandhi to be Congress chief in 2016: Jairam Ramesh