Muralitharan to play for Melbourne Renegades in Big Bash
Melbourne: Sri Lankan off-spin great Muttiah Muralitharan is set to play against his old time rival Australian Shane Warne in the forthcoming season of the Big Bash as he confirmed that he will be representing Melbourne Renegades in the Twenty20 league.
While Warne is expected to be part of the Melbourne Stars again, it will be Muralitharan`s first tryst with the Australian domestic cricket after he signed for Victoria in the Big Bash in 2009.
The retired Sri Lankan was, however, forced to withdraw his name from the Big Bash at that time after the dates of the tournament clashed with Sri Lanka`s international schedule.
"Murali`s signing is sensational news for the Melbourne Renegades, our supporters and cricket lovers all over the world, who have the opportunity to see one of the game`s greats plying his trade at Etihad Stadium during the Australian summer," Renegades CEO Stuart Coventry said.
"It sets up a mouth-watering Melbourne derby between Murali and the leggie from across the way when they reignite one of cricket`s great rivalries in the BBL-02 season curtain raiser," he said, referring to the likely contest between Mauralitharan and Warne.
Last season, the 40-year-old Sri Lankan played for Wellington in New Zealand`s domestic T20 competition, but this year the off-spinner has decided to ply his trade in Australia.
"I wanted to play one season in Australia and the opportunity from the Melbourne Renegades was there so I took it with both hands," said Muralitharan, who represented Royal Challengers Bangalore in the fifth edition of the Indian Premiere League earlier this year.
"Last year I watched BBL from New Zealand and it`s a good standard of players and a competitive tournament. I think it will be interesting to play against (Chris) Gayle because he`s one of the best batsmen in T20 and I played with him at the RCB. I think Shane is a great bowler and I`ve always admired him. I`ll try to do well and he`ll try to do well for his team," Muralitharan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow