Mushfiqur Rahim becomes first Bangladeshi to score double ton as team posts highest Test total
Wellington: Captain Mushfiqur Rahim became the first Bangladeshi batsman to score a double ton in the first test against Sri Lanka in Galle, as the tourists scored a mammoth 638 in their first innings in reply to hosts’ 570-4 declared, taking a 68 runs lead.
The total is Bangladesh``s highest in test cricket, improving on the 556 all out they made against West Indies four months ago in Dhaka, Stuff.co.nz reports.
Sri Lanka``s bowlers took five wickets after lunch with part-time spinner Tillakaratne Dilshan accounting for two of those in successive overs.
Mushfiqur was on 198 at lunch and reached the double century soon after the break by pushing a single to the cover region off Nuwan Kulasekara, however, two balls later he was trapped leg before wicket to end a glorious knock that lasted for nearly eight hours.
On the third day, the more flamboyant Mohammad Ashraful overshadowed Mushfiqur’s stand, but after the former captain departed following a record partnership, he was at centre stage, the paper said. Mushfiqur faced 321 deliveries and hit 22 fours and a six for his 200 that set the stage for Bangladesh to draw the test.
Mushfiqur added 106 runs for the sixth wicket with Nasir Hossain, who went onto make a maiden test hundred. It was the fifth wicket stand between Mushfiqur and Ashraful that laid the foundation of their innings.
The 267-run stand is a record for Bangladesh for any wicket against any opposition. It``s also a record at Galle for any wicket by any team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 13,680 crore made under IDS by Mahesh Shah