Muttiah Muralitharan to feature in NZ domestic cricket
Wellington: Former Sri Lankan tweaker Muttiah Muralitharan, who is currently playing for Kochi Tuskers Kerala in the IPL, is all set to feature in New Zealand`s domestic Twenty20 cricket competition next season.
The veteran of 800 Test wickets, who was keen to take up the chance to play in New Zealand, will be seen in action for Wellington Firebirds.
Confirming the deal with the former cricketer, Firebirds chief executive Gavin Larsen said that the move to rope in the off-spinner will benefit the side.
"It is a tremendous boost for Wellington to secure the services of one of the greatest international cricketers of all time.”
"He is a superb cricketer and a great ambassador for the game. As well as being a huge asset for us he is also very keen to assist us in promoting the game around Wellington," Larsen said.
The 39-year-old, who retired from international cricket after Sri Lanka lost to India in the recently concluded World Cup final, said that he is looking forward to be a part of the new outfit.
"I`ve always enjoyed my time in New Zealand and it is a fantastic country to tour and to play cricket in. I look forward to helping the Wellington Firebirds to success," Muralitharan said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Chancellor Angela Merkel to convene German security council after Munich shootings: spokesman
- Merkel aide says cannot confirm Munich shooting was terrorism
- US stocks hit new records; weak British data hits pound
- Whirlpool's biggest challenge is rapid changes in global markets: CEO
- Russia facing Rio Olympic, Paralympic ban