N Srinivasan elected unopposed, gets men of choice in BCCI
Chennai: Brushing aside intense criticism and questions of probity, N Srinivasan was elected unopposed as BCCI President for a third year during the Board`s AGM here on Sunday even though he will not take charge till further orders from the Supreme Court.
Srinivasan was the lone Presidential candidate put forward by the South Zone, from where he got the proposer and the seconder.
The AGM asserted Srinivasan`s supremacy in India`s richest sporting body with not even a single voice of dissent being heard during the proceedings of the day.
But he can resume his duties only after the Supreme Court gives its final verdict on the case filed against his candidature by the Cricket Association of Bihar secretary Aditya Verma.
The choice of the various sub-committees bore ample testimony to Srinivasan`s stranglehold on the organisation as all the executive functionaries as well as the heads of the important panels are perceived to be close to the Chennai strongman.
Srinivasan`s election was on expected lines despite the fact that he had his back against the wall on the issue of propriety after his son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings Team Principal Gurunath Meiyappan was charge-sheeted in the IPL betting and spot-fixing scandal.
Srinivasan`s company India Cements owns Chennai Super Kings.
In another important decision, Ranjib Biswal, the Odisha Cricket Association chief, was named the IPL chairman, a post left vacant by Rajiv Shukla, who decided to resign at the end of his tenure this year.
Biswal, a former India under-19 captain and first-class cricketer, was the manager of the Indian team during the 2011 World Cup triumph and was also a former chairman of the National Cricket Academy.
Among other important positions, Sneh Bansal (north), Ravi Savant (west) and Rajiv Shukla (central) have replaced Arun Jaitley, Niranjan Shah and Sudhir Dabir as vice-presidents.
Shivlal Yadav and Chitrak Mitra have retained their vice-presidency from south and east zone respectively.
While Jaitley has relinquished his post owing to political commitments in view of the upcoming general elections, Shah and Dabir have been dumped for their perceived closeness to Srinivasan`s adversaries Sharad Pawar and Shashank Manohar.
Sanjay Patel and Anirudh Chaudhury have been named the BCCI Secretary and Treasurer respectively.
These positions were laid vacant when Sanjay Jagdale and Ajay Shirke resigned in the aftermath of the IPL betting scandal.
Patel has been interim Secretary so far and his position was only made permanent n Sunday.
Jharkhand State Cricket Association President Amitabh Choudhary was appointed head of the BCCI marketing committee, while Kerala CA boss T C Mathhew was handed charge of the National Cricket Academy.
Andhra CA Secretary G Gangaraju was named head of BCCI finance committee. Goa`s Vinod Phadke has been entrusted with the responsibility of heading the media committee. DDCA`s Ravi Jain has been named the vice-chairman of the media committee.
Incidentally, Gangaraju and Phadke were in Srinivasan`s opposition camp but changed allegiance for which he was suitably rewarded.
The maximum duration of time was spent on deciding upon the name of the IPL Chairman, a lucrative but honorary position which requires a lot of travelling and liasioning with franchises and their owners.
Not all the east zone units were in favour of Biswal but finally agreed on his name after the favoured choice Jagmohan Dalmiya was ruled out due to his age, which would have hampered his functioning in the demanding job.
However, Cricket Association of Bengal has been suitably rewarded for backing Srinivasan with their Joint Secretary Subir Ganguly finding a place in the IPL Governing Council. Apart from this, CAB Treasurer Biswarup Dey has been inducted into the powerful finance committee.
Former India stumper Chandrakant Pandit has been replaced by former Baroda opener Connor Williams as the chairman of the under-19 selection committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM