N Srinivasan expected to be anointed new ICC chairman
Johannesburg: Suspended Indian cricket chief Narayanaswami Srinivasan is reportedly expected to be anointed as the new International Cricket Council (ICC) chairman at this week`s annual conference in Melbourne.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India has confirmed that Srinivasan would stand as chairman of the ICC despite being suspended by the country`s Supreme Court as the country`s cricket chief.
According to Sport24, the 69-year-old industrialist is seen as the most powerful man in world cricket and he was among 13 people named in a damning report into corruption allegations in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Despite the IPL Twenty20 competition being embroiled in allegations of illegal betting and spot-fixing, including against Srinivasan`s son-in-law, BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel confirmed that Srinivasan would go to Melbourne and was expected to be anointed ICC chairman.
Patel said that by the month end, India would take a leading role in the ICC as Srinivasan is going to attend the annual conference, which is set to address the growing concerns about corruption in the sport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back