Naeem`s maiden century boosts Bangladesh
Dhaka: Naeem Islam’s maiden test century helped Bangladesh reach 455-6 to trail West Indies by only 72 runs on the first innings after three days of the first test at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium on Thursday.
While the sedate pitch looks like setting up a draw, the fact that both teams are susceptible to collapses will keep up each other’s hopes.
Bangladesh could score 500 in a test for the first time.
Naeem patiently made 108 off 255 balls, while partner Shakib Al Hasan was out for 89. The duo, who resumed on the overnight score of 164—3, shared a 167—run stand for the fourth wicket, a record for Bangladesh and a solid base to move on.
West Indies declared at 527—4 on day two.
Shakib and Naeem added 88 before Ravi Rampaul ousted Shakib as he miss—drove to cover at 286—4.
Naeem was on 72, and he and captain Mushfiqur Rahim were also untroubled in passing the follow—on mark. Naeem finally reached his century with his 17th and last boundary, to fine leg off Tino Best. He’d taken 228 balls. Tea was taken at 349—4.
Naeem fell eight overs after tea, making a tired cut at Denesh Ramdin and edging behind. Naeem had lasted almost six hours, and he and Mushfiqur put on 76 for the fifth wicket.
Mushfiqur looked dangerous with his seven boundaries and one six and was out for 43 at 368—6, charging at debutant Veerasammy Permaul and merely hitting back to the left—arm spinner for his first test wicket.
Substitute fielder Asad Fudadin had to be replaced himself after taking a shot from Mahmudullah on his left knee at short leg near the day’s end.
At stumps, Mahmudullah was on 42 Nasir Hossain on 33.
Rampaul took 3—101 and captain Darren Sammy 2—83.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read