Najam Sethi hits back at Imran Khan
Karachi: Former PCB chairman, Najam Sethi on Monday hit back at criticism and allegations made against him by cricketer-turned-politician, Imran Khan by stating that being made the head of the cricket board was a "punishment" for him not a "reward."
Imran, who is going to lead a free Pakistan march to Islamabad on August 14, said today that Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif rewarded Sethi for helping him rig the last elections by making him Chairman of the cricket board.
"It was a reward for Najam Sethi who is the acting Punjab Chief Minister in the caretaker set up supported the rigging process," Imran claimed.
But Sethi shot back stating that when being appointed the Chairman of the cricket board was a "punishment" and not a "reward" for him.
"I don`t know what happened to me when I first accepted the offer to become Chairman of the board for three months last year. But the way things went I don`t see it as a reward it was a punishment," Sethi said.
"I wanted to just have a new constitution and hold elections for the new Chairman but the courts didn`t allow me to do that and I was caught up in litigation in courts for nearly 10 months," he said.
Sethi said as soon as the courts cleared the litigation he stepped aside as Chairman allowing for elections to be held on August 18.
"I don`t know what has happened to Imran these days. He is talking nonsense and makes no sense at all. I don`t know what he wants," Sethi added.
Pakistan cricket has a volatile history of changing Chairmen, captains and coaches at the drop of a hat.
Until now all heads of the board have been directly appointed as Chairman with unlimited powers by the patron in chief of the PCB which is presently the Prime Minister but in the past used to be the President.
"Till I remained Chairman I took no salary from the board. I just took some allowance for my car and that too I have returned back to the board," Sethi claimed.
He also dispelled reports that he was facing several tax cases on non payment of taxes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow