Nannes urges budding speedsters to avoid over-stressing themselves in early 20s
London: Veteran fast bowler Dirk Nannes has called for a fundamental alteration on preventing injuries in younger colleagues, urging them to forget about bowling while in their early 20s. Nannes, who at 36 hopes for a few more years of express bowling in Twenty20 competitions, said there was more to lose than gain for young quicks bowling when their bodies were still developing. Nannes said the likes of James Pattinson and Pat Cummins, who won``t play again this summer because of injury, would be better taking time out of cricket if they wanted to play into their 30s.
“My theory is fast bowlers achieve nothing between the ages of 19 and 23 so they should go a full Olympiad and travel the world … and go out to pasture because all they can do is pick up stress fractures and injuries and stuff themselves up,” the Age quoted Nannes, as saying. “Those guys, hats off to them because they``re great fast bowlers and they will be for a very long time, but if you look back in a few years at the injury-riddled years, by the time they get 12 Tests under their belts that might be knocking 25 Tests off them by the end of their careers,” he added.
Nannes, who has begun a new Big Bash season with the Sydney Thunder and has missed just three games from about 45 this year, only emerged as a bowling force in his late 20s and has no doubt his delayed start in first-class ranks extended his career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city