Navjot Singh Sidhu gets into scuffle over highway toll
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Hyderabad: Former cricketer and MP Navjot Singh Sidhu had a tiff with security guards at a highway toll gate near Nellore after his driver ignored their warning to stop the car.
Siddu was going from Chennai to Venkatachalam in Nellore district to participate in a function organised by senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu.
The security guards manning the highway toll gate signalled Sidhu`s car to stop for payment of toll, Nellore rural Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Balavenkateshwar Rao said.
When the driver did not stop the car, a security guard hurled a stone at the car which prompted the MP to get down from the car and had verbal argument with them, the DSP said adding the car did not have an MP sticker, he said.
Sidhu, on the other hand, denied any brawl with the security guard and added that he did not manhandle him. “I did not get out of the car or touched the guard”, Sidhu told reporters upon reaching Delhi.
“The reports are distorted,” he added and said that it was his driver that made the security guard sit inside the car.
When asked whether the security guards were booked, the DSP said that no complaint had been received at the concerned police station.
When contacted, Sidhu said that "I was on the back seat in the car when one of the security guards at the toll gate attacked with a rod for no reason".
He denied reports that his car driver ignored the signal of security guards manning the highway toll gate as our car was on VIP line and his driver was showing the card and informing them that MP was travelling in it.
But, one of the security guards armed with a rod came from backside and hit window pane of the car causing damage. I luckily escaped unhurt, he said. "My car driver caught hold of the guard and made him sit in front seat. Later, he was taken to Venkatachalam town in the same car where he was handed over to police," Sidhu said.
The MP, however, said he did not lodge any police complaint.
Meanwhile, according to another report, Sidhu again reached the Venkatachalam toll plaza on his way to Tirumala in the evening and immediately got agitated when he found two lorries carrying a large number of cattle. He sat on a dharna on the highway demanding police action against those involved in the transportation of the cattle.
Sidhu relented after SP Ramana Kumar promised of action against the cattle transporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3