Nawaz Sharif even willing to don pads if it helps revive Indo-Pak cricket ties!
Lahore: Pakistan’s main opposition party leader Nawaz Sharif has jokingly said he will even be a part of his team if it helps revive cricket ties between both sides.
“The Indian cricket team should come to Pakistan and the Pakistan team should tour India because cricket can bring the two countries closer,” The Express Tribune quoted Sharif, as saying.
“I am ready to do my part in reviving the ties. In fact I want to be part of the Pakistan team when India come to play us,” he added, jokingly.
His statement comes after Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, during his day -long visit to India, had a discussion with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on reviving cricket ties between both sides.
Zardari reportedly said he was looking forward to the Indian cricket team playing tournaments on Pakistani soil.
Singh assured Zardari that he would take up the issue with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Indo-Pak sporting ties have been stalled after the deadly Mumbai terror attacks, blamed on Pakistan militants, in 2008.
India and Pakistan are slated to play against each other in the Future Tours Programme of the International Cricket Council between 2012-2018, subject to clearance from both governments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Medical experts want Rio Olympics delayed or moved due to Zika
- Subramanian Swamy alleges Raghuram Rajan 'leaking sensitive information', must be sacked
- Witness woman power in full glory in 'Housefull 3'! Watch video
- Guess who just got Rs 48 lakh Jaguar car - Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan!
- Watch: Incredible view of the Suez Canal, Egypt!