Need to bring transparency in sports: Jitendra Singh
New Delhi: Union Minister of State for Sports minister Jitendra Singh said Saturday that there is a need for good governance, cleansing of sports and bringing transparency in the working of sports federations.
Speaking at the conclusion of a two day conference of state sports ministers, in the presence of eminent sports persons and members of sports federations, Singh added that his ministry is working with the law and home ministry on how to stop the menace of betting and fixing in sports which has recently rocked the cricketing fraternity.
"As sports is a state subject, the states have to initiate a debate on how to enact laws to stop betting and fixing etc. in sports," said a sports ministry statement, further stressing on the need to have uniform sports laws in the country.
Singh, at the conference, assured the states that all necessary guidance and support will be provided by the centre to the states in making such laws, if they so desire.
The states have agreed to the suggestion that the centre could develop a model sports law for adoption by the states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?