Need to have an IPL-style T20 league in Pak: Younis, Shoaib
Karachi: Former skippers, Younis Khan and Shoaib Malik, have called on the cricket authorities in Pakistan to organise a domestic Twenty20 league on the lines of the hugely-popular Indian Premier League (IPL) to help revive international cricket in the strife-torn nation.
The two seasoned campaigners spoke at the prize distribution ceremony of the first-ever T20 Ramazan tournament for departments and banks affiliated with the PCB, which was won by Younis Khan-led Habib Bank with the exciting final being decided in the super over.
Younis, while accepting the winner`s trophy, said the tournament has once again proved that the PCB needs to organise a proper Twenty20 league in the country.
"It was a good experience playing in such a tournament that lasted for three weeks. I enjoyed it. I think the people also enjoyed it. But there is a need to have a longer T20 league on the lines of the IPL," Younis said.
"We need to have a longer league and give out a positive message to the world. Such a league would also allow us to uncover new talent as well," he said.
Malik said he has no doubt that a proper T20 league would produce next superstars for Pakistan and also bring back teams to the country.
"It`s a tragedy that we have not had any international cricket in Pakistan since the last four years and it has hurt the progress of our cricket," he said.
"But this could be a way to convince the world to come and play in Pakistan. It could be a way to attract overseas players," he added.
The Pakistan board had planned a super league T20 in March this year and announced with great fanfare the inclusion of foreign players but the project did not get off the ground at the last moment and has been postponed indefinitely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon