New CEO commends Windies teams for achieving targets
St. John`s: Newly appointed CEO of the West Indies Cricket Board Michael Muirhead has commended the senior men`s and women`s teams for achieving the targets set out by the sport`s governing body.
Muirhead says the regional side`s historic triumph in winning the ICC World Twenty20 tournament was achieved on the backs of "rigorous preparation, astute planning and consistent performances".
In a congratulatory message to the team Monday, Muirhead said winning the tournament was a specific target for 2014 in the WICB five year strategic plan, CMC reports.
"Now that through the outstanding work of the players and the Team Management we are ahead of our goals," said Muirhead who replaced Ernest Hillaire as CEO at the start of the month.
"We will need to review and readjust and look to retain the title in 2014, even as we are cognizant that the other cricketing powerhouses will be leaving nothing to chance as they too prepare."
The West Indies played with passion and commitment to defeat Sri Lanka by 36 runs in a remarkable final at the Premadasa Stadium.
The New CEO notes that the start of his tenure coincides with renewed expectation among Caribbean fans.
"I am honoured to be entering West Indies cricket at a time when the region is enthused about the game and the prospects,"said Muirhead said.
The new CEO also commended the Windies Women for achieving one of the stated WICB objectives of finishing in the top four of each of the World Cups and World Twenty20s held between 2011 and 2016.
The West Indies Women`s team made the semi-final of the World T20 but lost to Australia who went on the claim the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials